Sunday, March 25, 2012

Adding a data connection in Visual Studio

Not sure if I should add this in this forum or in a VS forum, but here goes.

I have a Visual Studio project setup using VB.Net 2005 RTM. I have a SQL2000 data connection set up and it is working. We have just added a SQL2000 database that is on the same server as a named instance. When I go to add the 2000 SQL data connection all I can see is the name of the Server and the 2005 databases. Both the SQL2005 and the SQL2000 are on a box cleverly called SERVER. In the "Add Connection" dialog box I enter Server as the server name and then when I click on the dropdown for the databases I just see the SQL2005 database. The 2000 instance name is SQL2000 so I entered \\Server\SQL2000 as the server name but that didn't get me anything. Any suggestions?

Thanks...

To connect to a named instance, you specify the server name in the connection dialog as <servername>\<instancename>. So in your environment, you would enter SERVER\SQL2000. Remove the leading backslashes and you should be ok.

jeff.

No comments:

Post a Comment