Saturday, February 25, 2012

Add Interactivity in exported Excel:Web report

Hi,

Specs:

I am using SSAS 2005, Excel 2003 (Office 2003 professional with sp2)

I browse the cube in SSAS 2005 BI studio and then export it to Excel.

This excel file provides interactivity, meaning that I double-click on a expandable cell , then excel issues a mdx query and retrieves the values.

Issues:

1. When I save this excel file, it displays that it is a read-only version and still allows me to save the excel file in the following formats: excel, web page (html and mhtml), xml file. Also it displays a checkbox for "Add Interactivity".

The saved web page (html or mhtml) or xml files do not provide interractivity. the reports are not able to expand cells or issue mdx queries. they allow to write on cells, but no double click.

How can I provide this?

I would want to save them as web pages, and then publish them to the web server.

2. The excel olap report that I exported yesterday, (excel 2003 file). like I mentioned before , give interactivity. but after I checked the same report after a day.

They are displaying the following error on double clicking or clicking on a drop down:

"xml for analysis parser: The xxxxxxx session id cannot be found. Either the session does not exist or it has already expired."

and clicking on 'Ok' it displays this message:

"Errors in the oledb provider. An error occured while loading the connection dialog box for prompting."

3. Do these excel olap reports provide the actions implemented in the cube?

I have created some drillthrough actions in the cube. how can I invoke them from the exported excel olap report?

We are planning to move from proclarity due to many of its rigidness. I feel that a software tool must provide for as much as customization as possible. If customization is not built in then it must atleast provide libbraries to write custom code and add on or modify existing funtionality. something similar to sharepoint.

although sharepoint from the face front seems rigid, it provides a lot of customizations. and as a last resort, if does not provide a built in customization method for something, you can pretty much hack into it and define whatever you want.

for example, in proclarity I want to allow multi select in the dropdown? Not possible at all. If I want users to double click and perform a defined 'action' , Not possible, proclarity displays all actions of all cells in a tab! if there are 100 actions , then users must search and select!

If i want the contents of one dropdown to depend on another using mdx. Not possible in proclarity.

I have a list of inconsistencies, which might not be the general usage for everybody, but in the world of software, How much can you really generalize?

Please do help in the excel questions....

Regards

Vijay,

1&2. When you save excel file, you have to find there publish button, and not use Save button. I do not have Excel 2003 in front ofme, but in Excel 2000, from Menu you have to choose "Save As Webpage" then "Publish", select Pivot Table then you click on "Add Interactivity with :" and select "Pivot table functionality". This will give you interactivity and no issues with session

3. No actions are implemented by default in excel. Microsoft has a code on their pages that you have to use to make drilltrough work.

Vidas Matelis

No comments:

Post a Comment